WNY STEM is proud to be the Regional Partner for WNY for Code.org. Code.org is an international initiative to expand computer science education to all students with a particular focus on girls and underrepr
esented minority students.
As the Regional Partner, WNY STEM is recruiting facilitators who will train teachers to implement Code.org’s computer science curriculum beginning in school year 2018-19. Facilitators will be hired and trained in 2018.
Learn more here: www.code.org/facilitator.
The official application process closes December 1.
What does a Code.org Facilitator do?
If accepted into the Code.org Facilitator Development program, you will:
- Participate in in-person and online facilitator development
- Collaborate with WNY STEM to deliver professional development to teachers on Code.org’s courses, with on-going support from Code.org and the facilitator community
- Partner with Code.org to shape the future of professional learning for thousands of new CS educators across the US and beyond
What is Code.org looking for in a Facilitator?
Code.org facilitators must demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Enthusiastic supporter of K-12 CS education Equity-Focused
- Committed to supporting access to quality CS education for all students
- Believes all teachers can teach CS
- Strong desire to develop as a facilitator and leader within the CS education community
- Willingness to give and receive feedback in a collaborative working environment
- Prior or current teaching experience
- Strong background in curriculum focus area, preferably through past teaching experience High level of comfort with technology, including virtual meeting tools and experience with Google suite
- High level of emotional intelligence and empathy for learners at varying ability levels
- Ability to “think on your feet” and make decisions that are in the best interest of the audience while maintaining fidelity to the program
- Motivated self-starter
Additional Qualities (preferred, not required)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage and co-lead learning experiences for adults
- Experience in planning, leading, and assessing the effectiveness of K-12 teacher professional development
- Prior experience as a Code.org facilitator
For more information, contact Cherie Messore, Executive Director